HOW TO DO BUSINESS NAME SEARCH IN KENYA ONLINE
This process of Business Name Search & Registration is now online and has to be done on the E-Citizen platform.
The Company Registry requires that a Business name search be conducted and approved before the registration process of any local business. Business name searches and reservations are done online through the E-Citizen portal.
In 2016, the Companies Registry set up a digital Business Registration Service (BRS), which is hosted on the E-citizen portal.
Since the BRS system has gone live, all company incorporations have been done online and a company is automatically linked to the E-citizen portal when incorporated. Entities established prior to 2016, under the manual system, now need to be linked to the E-citizen portal.
The requirement to link to the E-citizen portal applies to all companies, including public limited companies, companies limited by guarantee, foreign companies as well as limited liability partnerships, and sole proprietorships.
Steps on how to register a Business name in Kenya.
- Business Name Search.
One must provide at least three unique business name suggestions in order of preference for a Business name search.
Currently, it takes one (1) day for the business name search to be processed.
- Application for Business name registration.
Once a name is searched and reserved the applicant(s) should complete the online application form in the portal.
- Business Name Certificate
Once an application is successful, the certificate of Registration of the Business name, also referred to as BN 3 is processed thereafter and issued.
Requirements for Business Name Registration
- Proposed Business name
- The nature of Business/activities the business shall undertake.
- Names of the Proprietor/s in Full.
- Postal address for the Business Name.
- Proposed Physical address of the Business. The address includes road, plot number, town, county.
- Copy of ID / Passport of the Proprietor or Partners.
- Passport photo of the Proprietor/s.
- Copy of PIN certificate of the Proprietor/s or partner/s.
For a step-by-step guide on how to carry out a company search click here.